Saturday, January 1, 2011

Frittatas: 3 ways

Everyone has different tastes - but these non-dairy frittatas are so easy to make that preparing a few variations are just as simple as one.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

For vegetables, start with a big pan (I use my flat wok) so that you can make ingredients en masse. If you're going to go from stovetop to oven, make sure your pan is oven safe.


Mushroom and Onion Frittata
1lb cremini/baby bella mushrooms (I picked mine up pre-sliced at Trade Joes).
2/3 sweet onion
8 eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
Spicy Garlic (Grinder Blend from Kirkland - or garlic powder, salt, red pepper flakes)

Sautee mushrooms - I used the Pacific mushroom broth and sherry instead of oil.
Sautee onions. (Season with salt, pepper, garlic to taste.)
Place in baking dish, pour in egg and soymilk mixture.
Stir.
Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes or until eggs set. Typically, with a frittata one starts the egg setting process on the stove (it speeds up the process), but given that I making 3 to serve a day later, I went with this more foolproof method.

Because I made three different kinds I used the "cut once" method with this whole prep process. For eggs, that meant I did the cracking and mixing into one big bowl - 18 eggs in total with 12 oz of soy milk. Some pepper and salt. Because I had non-mushroom lovers amongst my guests (when will my friends grow up and embrace the delicacy?), I cooked those separately first and then all the onions at once, splitting them amongst the mushroom pan and then stirring in the spinach for the next two frittatas.

Lox, Spinach and Onion Frittata
1/2 lb Spinach
2/3 Sweet Onion
6-8 oz Lox
5-6 Sprigs Dill (or 1 tbs dried dill)
8 eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk

Add spinach into the sauteed onion mixture, until cooked through.
place in baking dish.
Add fresh dill and salmon in small pieces.
Pour egg mixture into dish. Stir and bake for 45 minutes.

Pastrami, Spinach and Onion Frittata
1/2 Spinach
2/3 Sweet Onion
2 Tbs Jack Daniels Mustard
1/2-3/4 lbs Pastrami
8 eggs
1/2 cup soy milk

Add spinach into the sauteed onion mixture, until cooked through. (I did two at once and divided)
Add in pastrami and mustard to the pan with onions and spinach and sautee a bit.
Place in baking dish.
Pour egg in mixture. Stir and bake for 45 minutes.

Remove from oven, make sure the eggs have set (they shouldn't wobble in the middle), slice and serve.
I heard from guests and found that when the savory eggs wound up with maple syrup they married quiet well.

No comments:

Post a Comment