Sunday, March 1, 2015

Buttery Bourbon Couscous

Recently I was craving the butter that was in my fridge - so I hunted down a vehicle that would provide me with buttery goodness. I've served it as an all-in-one bowl meal with goat cheese and veggie sausage stirred in, or as a side to a meal with roasted broccoli and a big salad.

Ingredients:
4 cups Israeli Whole Wheat Couscous (this isn't easy to find, but I discovered mine in a market that has a huge section of items imported from Israel. Regular Israeli couscous can be found everywhere.)
1/3 cup unsalted butter (I used sweet cream butter) + 1 pat for added before serving.
1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
1/4-1/2 cup Sliced Almonds
Dash of Bourbon (up to 2 oz)
Spices in abundance! 
Basil (I used two frozen Dorot cubes)
2 tbs Pereg "American Hamburger spice mix" - this includes Paprika, Black Pepper, Garlic, Salt, Coriander, & Cumin
1 tbs Zaatar
2 tbs Parsley (I had an abundance of dried parsley)
2 pinches Sumac
1 pinch Ginger

Cooking Instructions:
In a medium saucepan, toast the couscous over medium-high heat (I sprayed the pan w/spray oil first).
While toasting, boil 6 cups or so* of water to add to pan.
Once you add the water, also add dried cranberries so they can hydrate as well.
As the water comes back to a boil add butter, bourbon and spices.
Lower to a simmer, cover for 5 minutes. At 5 minutes, remove top, stir, add almonds, and taste - it probably needs an additional 1-2 minutes. For the bowl version, depending on your veggie sausage cooking instructions, you might be able to add them in to cook in these final minutes. Finally, add that last pat of butter as you fluff to serve.

Enjoy!

*I'm always generous with my water measurements in couscous, whatever the package says, I add about a 1/2 cup more. No one ever complains, and particularly if you aren't serving it immediately, or if reheating to serve later, the grain keeps absorbing moisture.

No comments:

Post a Comment